BlackMoon Beginnings - Prophesized #1 | Book Review

BlackMoon Beginnings 
(Prophesized #1)
Kaitlyn Hoyt
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Supernatural, Romance
Publication Date: February 16th 2013
Number of Pages: 244
Source: Bought from the UK Kindle Store

Add to your TBR shelf:
BlackMoon Beginnings Goodreads Page

Large gorgeous men, a hidden race, and a magical secret.
Ryanne Arden was on track to being Stormfield High School's Valedictorian. Being the shy, quiet studious type, she's always done her own thing. That all changed when a drunk man decided to get behind the wheel of a car. With the death of her mother, Ryanne is suddenly more alone than she's ever been. With no friends or family to turn to, a local woman named Jane offers to help Ryanne in her time of need. 
With graduation looming ahead of her, eighteen year old Ryanne must get her act together if she wants to get out of the small town of Stormfield, Maine and away from her painful memories. 
Meeting the attractive Colton Wagner, changes everything. He awakes something in Ryanne that even she didn't know she had. Magic. With her life suddenly thrown upside down, Ryanne has been thrust into a world completely unbeknown to her. 
Being the only non-mage to ever gain magic, paints a target on Ryanne's back. She's the girl the whole mage world has been searching for. It has been prophesized for thousands of years that a young non-mage would put an end to the chaos created by rogue mages, the Gadramicks. Their manipulative leader, Dravin, will do anything within his power to prevent the prophecy from being fulfilled. 
Finding out that she's an intricate part to ending a supernatural war, Ryanne has the weight of all mages on her shoulders. With the help of Colton and his family, along with a healer, a dream-walker, and a loud-mouthed mage, Ryanne sets out on the journey of a lifetime. Can she overcome her insecurities and do what is needed of her or will she lose her identity behind the magic inside of her?



Where do I start with this book? - I think I both loved it and disliked it at the same time. Is that even possible? I was constantly reminded of Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2 as the story features similarities such as a 'feelings/love' triangle, forces joining together to prepare for a fight against the bad guys, lots of training scenes and then an epic battle. I will just say now though that this has nothing to do with Vampires and Werewolves - at least not in Book 1 anyways! I do doubt that this story will go down that route too - never say never though.

Although I was having deja vu moments, I did enjoy reading this book. I liked the concept of Ryanne coming into her mage powers and discovering aspects of her life are actually different to how she remembers them. I also liked that Ryanne was very protective over her 'new' family and didn't want them to get hurt whilst trying to protect her from the bad guys (aka the Gadramicks).

I think the aspect of this story that pulled me the most though was the numerous men/boys involved in this story and their 'feelings' for Ryanne - even after finishing this book I'm confused about what each of them feels for Ryanne. I'm not even sure whether Ryanne has a 'power' which makes them attracted to her or not - this is very quickly hinted at with a VO5 hair swinging advert moment but is then never brought up again. Although I enjoyed this element, it also annoyed me. I felt Ryanne was being a bit of a bunny boiler by sitting on the guys laps and cuddling them, the whole 'you don't know your beautiful' grew old pretty quick too - and yes, a One Direction song was quoted at one point! In fact I did enjoy the current entertainment references through the story - I did have giggles over the Twilight and Transformers references.

There were some regular misspellings in this book but I don't think I've actually read a book within the last 6 months which hasn't had at least one misspelling - I blame noticing these more now that I have to proof-read as part of my job. [I am however not an expert and no doubt make loads of mistakes in my own blog posts - I'm sorry for my own grammatical mistakes and misspellings.] Anyways these misspelling didn't really affect my reading, I just noticed them.

Even though this review does seem to lean more towards a 'negative-sided' opinion of the book, I did enjoy reading it - I just cannot quite put my finger on why *puzzlement continues*. Despite my comments, I will certainly be downloading the second book in the series and I look forward to reading more about Ryanne, Colton, David, Liam, Larkin, Logan, Emma, Tom and Claire ^_^. As an end note, I have no idea what team I would be on at the end of this book - I think I'm totally confuzzled as to which male character I like most - I vote that they are all dreamy and so I can't possibly pick!


Three stars given because I really am torn by this story and the author's writing. 
I'd like to give it more but that would be unfair to other 4 or 5 star books.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...