The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson & The Olympians #1) | Book Review

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson & The Olympians #1)
Rick Riordan
Genres: Fantasy, Supernatural, Young Adult
Publication Date: April 1st 2006
Number of Pages: 375
Source: Borrowed from my local Library

Add to your TBR shelf:
The Lightning Thief Goodreads Page

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect
Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves. 


The Percy Jackson series had been recommended to me so many times and people were almost shocked when I said I had never read it. It's one of those series that I hadn't really heard about until the first movie came out and then more and more people were telling me to read the book and then watch the movie. Well I finally caved and picked up the first book from my local library - it was one of those amazing finds when you least expect it situations and I took it as a sign that I finally need to start the series. And boy, I can't believe it's taken me this long to start reading it.

The Lightning Thief is a fast and entrancing adventure novel following Percy and his not-quite-ordinary friends Annabeth and Grover. I really enjoyed Percy and Grover's characters however I didn't quite 'warm' to Annabeth's - I just felt her character was there for the sake of having a girl. I loved the Greek mythology element to this story and it was this element that kept my constant interest throughout the story. This book was such a quick and easy read, and was the adventure journey was written so quick-pasted that it kept my attention glued and yet still gave me all the descriptions and details that I craved. A fantastic read for all ages, fully worthy of it's 5 star rating. I've already reserved the second book at my local library.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...